News about Ethereum
Finally there is certainty. Sapphire launched a few Radeon MINING graphics cards with 4 GB and 8 GB graphics memory. Pre-sale is live at www.overclockers.co*. The Radeon MINING cards have no display connection. They are developed for one purpose only: Mining! Following models are at pre-sale:
- Radeon RX 560 Pulse MINING Edition 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card*
- Radeon RX 470 MINING Edition 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card*
- Radeon RX 470 MINING Edition 8192MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card*
- Radeon RX 470 MINING Edition 4096MB GDDR5 Samsung PCI-Express Graphics Card*
- Radeon RX 470 MINING Edition 8192MB GDDR5 Samsung PCI-Express Graphics Card*
Find an overview of some special graphics cards for ether-mining in our basics-section: Mining Graphics Cards.
The market capitalisation of Ethereum is rising constantly. At the time of writing the market capitalisation according to Coinmarketcap is above $22.9 billions. Hence one Ether is almost worth $250. The increasing value is the result of the growing interest in cryptocurrencies in general and Ethereum in particular. The development of Ethereum is running hot at all levels. Find the current status at Vitalk Buterins Roundup Round III post.
Ethereum trading was launched at Huobi and OKcoin
Two of three major exchanges in China – Huobi and OKcoin launched Ethereum-trading. This opens a huge market for Ethereum and will rise the trading volume. Huobi told the main reasons for the implementation of Ethereum-trading in an official announcement:
- Ethereum could exceed Bitcoin in many aspects: costs, scability and speed were emphasized.
- The rising popularity of Ethereum and
- the recurring requests from traders to launch Ether-Trading.
Casper/PoS: Stage 1
The full migration from PoW to PoS is expected in the next 1 to 2 years. The implementation of Casper will take several steps. In Stage 1 Ethereum will transition from pure proof of work to hybrid PoW+PoS and this stage is probably close to be finished. Stage 1 implementation includes two parts:
1. An implementation of the “fork choice rule”, the function which determines what the “canonical chain” is. This is the replacement for the “longest chain rule” in PoW.
2. A daemon (or integrated software package) that implements the logic needed to be a Casper validator.
All of the PoW-Mechanics will continue to exist and PoS-Mechanics will be added. Please find further information about the Stage 1 implementation in the Casper Version 1 Implementation Guide.
What is Ethereum Enterprise?
Ethereum is currently in its evolved Homestead phase, a lot of companies and banks including: Microsoft, J.P. Morgan, Intel, Thomas Reuters, BP, ING, UBS, Santander, Credit Suisse and many more got their eyes on Ethereum. The Enterprise Ethereum Alliance (EEA) emerged from the great interest in Ethereum and its wide-ranging applications. This alliance connects the Fortune 500 companies (the world’s top 500 companies), start-ups, academics and technology vendors with Ethereum subject matter experts.
Why is the Ether price rising?
The news about the EEA and other numerous positive reports, such as the announcement of the next phase Metropolis to be reached at the end of June 2017 (Metropolis Update), drove up the Ether price. The decline in the Bitcoin course, which was triggered, among other things, by the rejected ETF and the disagreement in the “block size” debate, also pushed the price. The all time high from June 2016 (almost 19€) was surpassed by lengths. At the end of March 2017 the price scratched the 50 € mark.
When will Casper/PoS arrive?
A much discussed question, and unfortunately there is only one answer: “No one knows that exactly.” In his talk in Taipei: “Hard problems in Cryptoeconomics” Vitalik Buterin speaks about Casper among other things:
Hudson Jameson talks about Ethereum and gives an overview on further developments.
In his Valentine’s report “Ethereum R&D Roundup: Valentine’s Day Edition“, Vitalik Buterin speaks about the current Ethereum development:
- During the last two months, there has been progress in the implementation of zk-SNARKs, in collaboration with the Zcash team.
- Vitalik Buterin, Vlad Zamfir and some others have continued on the “proof of stake” front. The focus of their work has been on scaling and protocol economics.
- The inclusion of several EIPs (Ethereum Improvement Proposal) into Metropolis was approved in two core developer meetings. The EIP system itself has been updated.
- Work on programming languages, Mist, Swarm, ENS and the associated infrastructure is continuing very fast.
A lot happened in the Ethereum-World after the stressful security problems in the past year. The Ethereum core development and research teams can now work with full force on the implementation of Metropolis – the 3rd phase. The phases are summarized here: The phases of Ethereum.
The Ethereum Light Client for developers was introduced. It is still in an early stage of development and will have more or less the same features as the full client. The Ethereum Light Client has some inherent limitations, which can be found in the original post from Zsolt Felföldi: “Introduction of the Light Client for DApp developers“.
A lot happend with Ethereum in December 2016. Find an overview with further articles in the “December Roundup” on the Ethereum Blog. Inlcuding different topics like:
- privacy technology and zk-SNARKs
- the history of CASPER from Vlad Zamfir’s standpoint
- Proof of Stake: Vitalik Buterin’s Design Philosophy
- various discussions and development proceedings
In his Medium-Article “A Proof of Stake Design Philosophy” Vitalik Buterin talks about his personal opinion on Proof of Stake. A really readable article.
Through social engineering, unknown hackers managed to reach a database backup of the official Ethereum Forum. The backup comes from April and contains information about 16,500 users. The informations are:
- Public and private messages IP addresses
- User names and email addresses
- Profile information
- And hashed passwords
The passwords of those affected were reset. If you want to know if your account is affected by this data breach, you can check it on haveibeenpwned.com.
If you use the password of forum.ethereum.org also with other services, you should change it there now.
The latest version of Mist (DApps Browser) and Ethereum Wallet is now available for download. Fabian Vogelsteller warns in his tweet about the use of untrustworthy DApps. All references and the download of Mist and the Ethereum Wallet can be found here: Ethereum Wallet and Mist 0.8.8 – ”smashing vulnerabilities”.
After the past attacks on the Ethereum network, two successive hardforks, an accidental division of the ether blockchain and a consequent Kurbreak, Ethereum has caught again. In his blog entry Ethereum Research Update, Vitalik Buterin reports on the next planned Hardfork: Metropolis. This is the third of the four planned phases in Ethereum development. Metropolis is said to bring a series of improvements. Learn more about the different phases of Ethereum in our contribution: The Phases of Ethereum
The Zcash-based technique zk-SNARK (zero-knowledge succinct non-interactive argument of knowledge) is to be integrated into Ethereum. This will make it possible to perform completely anonymous transactions in an otherwise public network. The functionality of zk-SNARK is explained by Christian Reitwiessner in his blog entry “zkSNARKs in a nutshell“. In the long term, the implementation of Hawk in Ethereum will also be envisaged. This is very important for numerous applications where anonymity is essential, e.g. For financial transactions.
The last few weeks Ethereum had to put in some. Due to DoS attacks, the network was heavily braked. The attackers were able to flood the network with “transaction spam”. This week, the fourth Hardfork was named “Spurious Dragon”. The Ethereum network slowly returns to its normal state.