Ether Solo Mining
Anyone can buy Ether. We want to earn Ether ourselves and besides that, make the Ethereum network safer. Ether Mining is rewarded with 3 Ether each block. But this is not it. Furthermore, the “gas” which exists of fees for transactions and contracts, is declared in addition to these 3 Ether per block. It is assumed that, as time goes by, the reward of the “gas” with 3 Ether per block will exceed a lot. But it is getting even better. Further Ether for “uncles” will be declared every now and then, in addition to the 3 Ether per block and the reward for the “gas”. Which means, another up tp 7/8 of the 3 Ether from the block – on top. So many Ether… After all, we want to point out that Ether solo Mining requires a lot of luck. The computing power of the entire Ethereum Network is tremendous and therefore it will be pretty hard to snatch a block. Still, Ether solo Mining is an exciting thing. In the following, we will show you all the essential equipment you need for a successful start with Ether solo Mining with windows.
- Configuration und Ether Mining
- Ether Adress and Checking Balance
1. The Hardware for Ether Mining:
The equipment and the configuration of the graphics cards are crucial for your success in Ether Mining. It is as easy as this: The more computing power you have, the more Ether you have in the end. We suggest AMD graphics cards, as you can achieve a higher computing power than with comparable NVIDIA graphics cards. The graphics memory should be at least 2 GB. We have chosen the following hardware for this tutorial and built our Ether Mining Rig with it:
- Motherboard: Asrock 970 Extreme4 Mainboard (AM3+ Prozessor, DDR3 Speicher, 4x USB 3.0)*
- CPU: AMD FX 8320 Octa-Core Prozessor (3,5GHz, Socket AM3+, 16MB Cache, 125 Watt)*
- Hard Drive: Kingston Digital 120GB SSDNow V300 SATA 3 2.5 Solid State Drive *
- Power Adapter: DARK POWER PRO 11 – Power Supply*
- GPU: Gigabyte R9 290 GDDR5-4GB 2xDVI/HDMI/DP Graphics Card*
- WIFI Adapter: Panda 300Mbps Wireless N USB Adapter*
Furthermore, we have installed the following components (not mandatory):
The most important fact in advance. The used software and all drivers should be kept up to date. So please check for updates every now and then. During the installation and first use of the programs, the rights for the firewall might be required. You have to allow access and might have to start the programs new.You need the following Ether Mining Software for Ether solo Mining:
- geth: You can find the latest version here: Download geth
- ethminer: You can find the latest version here: Download ethminer (= cpp-Ethereum)
Create a new folder on data carrier (C:) and name it “Ethermining”. In this folder, you will save the Ether Mining Software. Download both programmes and install “Ethminer”. Choose the new folder “Ethermining” as a memory location. After successful installation, you can find the file “Ethereum” in the file “Ethermining”. You only have to unpack the Stratum Proxy after the Download. Drag and Drop the folder “eth-proxy” into the folder “Ethermining”. It is important for the further tutorial, to exactly install the file structure as it is described above. Please also pay attention to capitalization. You need openCL for the graphics cards. The latest versions can be found here:
Download and install the required openCL-installer. We use the program MSI Afterburn to control the temperature of the graphics cards. You can find the latest version here in DOWNLOADS: MSI Afterburn. Download and install MSI Afterburn. Restart your computer after you installed everything.
3. Configuration and Mining
Create an Ether account: At first, we create an Ether account (ETHERBASE) where your Ether goes, when you find a block. This is what we use the program “geth” for which should be in your folder C:\Ethermining now. We use the command prompt (cmd) of Windows to use “geth”. Enter “cmd” in der search field of Windows and press Enter. The command prompt window opens:
In order to navigate to the program “geth” in the command prompt window and create a new Ether account, you have to enter the following commands one by one and confirm each with the “Enter” key.
- cd/ (Enter key)
- cd Ethermining (Enter key)
- geth account new (Enter key)
- Now you are asked for a passphrase and you have to choose a password which is the password for your Ether Wallet (ETHERBASE). We recommend a safe password with a combination of at least 15 signs consisting of uppercase and lowercase letters, special characters and numbers. Please note that you will not see any characters while entering in the prompt window. After entering the password, you have to repeat it again. You have to confirm each entry with the Enter key. Take a note of your password outside your computer. You need this password every time you want to send Ether.
Close the prompt window.
Download blockchain: In the next step, we will download the blockchain. At the moment, the blockchain exists of 1.222.000 blocks and is larger than 11 GB. You can find the recent block number on www.etherchain.org under “Recent blocks”. The download takes between a couple of hours and a couple of days. Unfortunately, you cannot skip this step. You can only start Ether Mining, after downloading the complete Ether Blockchain. Open a new prompt window just like it has been described above. You have to enter the following commands and confirm each with the Enter key in order to download the Blockchain:
- cd/ (Enter key)
- cd Ethermining (Enter key)
--rpc (Enter key)
The download of the Blockchain should start now. At the end of each line (in front of the square brackets) you can find the recently loaded # block number. If this # block number corresponds to the block number on www.etherchain.org, your Blockchain is up to date.
Die Blockchain wird unter “C:UsersDein_PC_NameAppDataRoamingEthereumchaindata” gespeichert. Uns hat es zwischendurch geholfen, wenn wir den Download unterbrochen und dann anschließend neu gestartet haben. Die Blockchain muss hierbei nicht neu heruntergeladen werden, sondern macht beim zuletzt heruntergeladenem Block weiter.
The Blockchain is saved under “C:\Users\Your_PC_Name\AppData\Roaming\Ethereum\chaindata”. It has helped us from time to time, to stop the download and restart it again. You do not have to download the Blockchain again, but continue with the last downloaded block.Start Solo Mining: After your Blockchain has been downloaded completely, you can finally start with Ether Mining. Please make sure that the prompt window which the Blockchain is downloaded in, is always open during the Ether Mining. Open a new prompt window in order to start Ether Mining and enter the following commands one by one and confirm each with the Enter key:
- cd/ (Enter key)
- cd Ethermining (Enter key)
- cd Ethereum (Enter key)
- ethminer -G
--cl-local-work 256 (Enter key)
After entering the commands, the DAG-file is installed first. This can take a couple of minutes. Then the Ether Mining begins. If this does not work, close this window and repeat the entry of the commands in a new prompt window. Only enter ethminer -G in command 4.
We regulate the temperature with program MSI Afterburn and check several parameters. Start the program right after starting Ether Mining, in order to show the parameters of all graphics cards. We do not do any more settings with the program. Our graphics cards run at a temperature of 80-85 °C. Each graphics card has other features. You have to research the settings for your graphics cards yourself beforehand.
4. Ether Adress and check balance
Über das Eingabeaufforderungsfenster prüfen: Willst du deine Ether Adresse (ETHERBASE) und das Guthaben darauf prüfen, musst Du ein neues Eingabeaufforderungsfenster öffnen. Das Eingabeaufforderungsfenster in dem die Blockchain heruntergeladen wird muss dabei laufen. Gib folgende Befehle ein und bestätige sie mit der Enter-Taste:
- cd/ (Enter-Taste)
- cd Ethermining (Enter-Taste)
- geth attach (Enter-Taste)
Now you communicate with the program “geth”:
- With the command: eth.coinbase (Enter key) your Ether address (ETHERBASE) is shown. The Ether address is shown with lower case letters only.
- With the command: web3.fromWei(eth.getBalance(eth.coinbase),”ether”) (Enter key) the balance of the Ether address (ETHERBASE) is shown in Ether.
Check with the original Ether Wallet: You can check the balance and the Ether address (ETHERBASE) even easier with the Ether Wallet. Here you can also manage your Ether very easily. We will show you how to set up your Ether Wallet in this tutorial: “Create Ether Wallet“.
Please inform yourself about Ether Mining before you start Mining. Unfortunately we cannot get into every single detail here. If something does not work, please join the EtherBasics Forum. You will get help there.
* The marked links are so-called affiliate links. If you make a purchase through such a link on the landing page, then etherbasics.com will receive a commission from the seller. For you this has no disadvantage. We only use affiliate links if we are convinced by the product itself.